Thursday, January 15, 2009

Science Experiments

Since my car's in the shop, I thought Jamie and I might try to do some science experiments. They've got some Pop Bottle Science on Bargain for $5.99 at work and figured this was something Jamie would love.
First we started out with learning about water modelcules by adding food coloring drops to water and watching it snake its way through the water before dispersing. I let him pour the water and do the drops himself. He was quite proud!
The second experiment ended in total failure, totally my fault. We attempted to secure a balloon to the opening of the pop bottle and submerge it in hot water in a saucepan. The 2nd saucepan had cold water. In theory, the hot water would make the balloon inflate and move it to the cold water would do the opposite. I figured they meant boiling hot water and of course, this resulted in the bottom half of the bottle being a melted, shrivled-well, bottom half of a bottle. It still stands upright, it just looks weird.
I promised Jamie after school we'd try another experiment and he wanted to do the food coloring one again. This time we added blue and green coloring. I figured for the sake of making this more interesting, we'd add other ingredients and see what happens. His eyes lit up as he thought of all the possibilities in our kitchen. We used lemon juice, buttermilk, regular milk, salt, soda, cinnamon, rasins (which is the brown blob inside the bottle) baking soda and ice cubes. Nothing particularly exciting from a scientific point of view but to him, it was the raddest thing ever! I snapped a few shots of Dr. Jamie concocting his potion of awesomeness. :)





No comments: