Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Good Times

I got a message today from an old co-worker of mine waaay back when I first started with Borders. Admittedly, we weren't exactly best pals but she was enjoyable to chat with. A little crazy most of the time but still funny.
It makes me reflect back on the past and my beginnings with Borders. I didn't start with the company with high hopes of gaining a management position or a fancy career (that came later). I just needed some source of income as a newlywed and a constructive way to spend my time. When I first got hired on with the company, we had so many managers that I used to get their jobs confused! On top of that, we had countless supervisors; even one with a made-up job as "Special Projects Lead" hehe :) We called our special orders clerk, "Spock" and now I cannot recall why. She was a shy, quiet girl with plain brown hair and glasses. I had a favorite manager named Mark, also called Diablo, who was always so much fun to talk to! He entertained me to no end with his sarcastic comments and off-the-wall banter. Once Mark left, my friend Jon filled that void and work became a fun place to be again. We were pranksters to the core and battled to the death daily on Soul Cailbur during every break.
We had some crazy sellers too. One that sticks out in my mind was a professed Genius named Lorenzo. He was so looney! I remember a time when Mark and I stood at the information desk and literally watched him SPRINT all the way to the registers to answer an assistance page. He SPRINTED! NO one sprints!
Also, there was another rather crazy charactor who was Mexican goth named Michael (I think?) he always had weird things to say; mostly about metaphysical things like Runes and Tarot. He 'confessed' to me one day that he reads people's tarot cards occasionally for money. It was hard not to laugh. :P
Now that I'm still with Borders but at a different location, things just aren't the same anymore. I realize that change is inevitable. But it just 'feels' different. The people aren't as quirky as they used to be. I try my hardest to wear my quirk on my sleeve but it doesn't seem quite as appreciated as it once was.
What I wouldn't give to go back to the days when I really looked forward to work. It truly was the people that gave it all meaning, whether or not I was friends with them. They were themselves and shared a piece with me. I don't believe I would be the person I am today if it weren't for all these quirky charactors in my story. I have been shaped and I am thankful. :)

3 comments:

Comédias, tragédias e provérbios said...

Nice memories. =D
My co-workers from a previous job were also great, and now I'm facing the same situation as you.

Nick said...

Christine. I am always, always happy to see your quirky side. It makes my days! BUSINESS CARDS! :)
Seriously though, flaunt that quirk. Wait, that didn't sound too right. Uh, you get the drift. Ha :)

Christine said...

Hehe Nick :) BUSINESS CARDS! I'll flaunt my quirk like I flaunt my busines cards! :D