Thursday, May 1, 2008

Is Organic for me? (or healthy for that matter)

So I've been trying my best to choose foods that are healthier for my family. Shopping the local fruit & Vegatable stands and purchasing organic. I've talked with a few people that I know that buy organic and it seems that most are of the opinion that no one needs to break the bank just because it says organic. I have to agree. While this takes more time in grocery shopping because I want to compare prices, it's worth it. Take for instance, organic milk. I haven't seen a 1/2 quart go below 3.50 yet. There's no way I'm purchasing it at that price when I can get a 1/2 quart of skim for half the price. We're not made of money ya know!! I just try to be more choosey with the regular milk that I buy.
But I haven't fully converted to organic of course. There are some things that I will continue to buy that's regular simply because I KNOW the organic counterpart tastes like cardboard. Meh.
It's funny, I've noticed all these advertisements screaming for us to GO GREEN! In fact, I think (I could be wrong about the brand) that Pottery Barn is even offering an Organic Sofa!! Oh geez. Uh no, I'm NOT spending close to 2k on a sofa just because it's made of soybeans and natural fibers. Ridiculus.
I just want to make sure we're eating healthier. There are too many health problems occuring and if I can help Jamie's future by getting him hooked on healthy foods, he'll be set for life. :) But if you know Jamie, you already know he eats healthier than Mike and I already. This kid is funny. He chooses carrots over chips! :)

1 comment:

Paul Bauman said...

For organic, I'd say just pay attention to your veggies (pesticides) and look out for hormonally enhanced meat. That's about it.

I'm totally ambivalent about the organic milk, and yeah... organic peanut butter sucks -_- Give me a jar of hydrogenated Skippy any day...