Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thus far...

So it is official. The White River Special Education coordinator (Mary) evaluated Jamie in his preschool and both the preschool teachers and Mary agree that the preschool is not equipped to help Jamie. Fortunately, I don't feel quite as upset over this as I did the first and second time he either got kicked out or pulled out before it got that bad. I had a hunch this was coming and I actually feel prepared, somewhat. I feel that even though the preschool (with it's 35+ years of experience in early childhood education...) does not have expereince to help Jamie in particular, I think that Mary can; or at least get him the right kind of help.
So while I hear some people say that public schools are mediocre, I don't agree. I do think that it CAN get swept up in rules and daily routines and children can tend to blend in and some forgotten but if parents are proactive about keeping in touch with the teachers and using those free services, public schools can be a valuable source of information. Of course, it might be too early yet to tell. *knocks on wood*
Tomorrow I call Mary to discuss options for Jamie because there's no way he's going to miss out on education this year and the experience that it'll bring him. I have a very strong feeling that he'll qualify for free special education services and hopefully gain a realistic goal-oriented IEP, complete with behavior/social exercises.
Because lets be honest; I can't teach him on my own. It would be impossible. I just do not have the resources he needs. I defintely can't throw him in all alone, into just any classroom either. All I can do is just be his mom that is in his corner, encouraging him in the right direction. I feel really good about this, for once.

No comments: