Friday, June 3, 2011

The Shadow of the Wind



Of all the books I've read over the last few weeks, none of them have captured me as much as The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This book has literally suspended my life over the last three days. There are moments when I must force myself to put the book down and take a break, clean or go to school. I wish that I could write a better description of the book but alas, you will have to meddle through...

The story takes place in post-war Barcelona, Spain in the life of Daniel Sempre, at age 10. Daniel's simple life consists of only himself and his father while they mourn for his mother, who died when Daniel was 4. His father decides to introduce Daniel to the Cemetery of Lost Books; a long family tradition kept secret. When Daniel is told to choose any book he likes in the massive labyrinth of shelves and stories, and that this book will forever mark his life, he searches carefully. He emerges, holding The Shadow of the Wind by an obscure author, Julian Carax. Daniel immediately begins to read and falls in love with the story. His father urges his son to explore the author by introducing him to one of his bookseller friends and thus, Daniel begins the story of his own life. Discovery leads him to learning that his copy may be the only one left in existence, all others have been sought out and burned. It takes him years to uncover the truth behind Carax's cursed life. We are taken on a journey throughout the city of Barcelona, meeting colorful characters and learning shocking truths.

Shadow of the Wind is a serious book with thoughtful and often hilarious dialogue. I'm very attached to Daniel's lovable friend, Fermin. I'm not quite finished with it yet because I'm trying to savor each moment. But it's likely that I will return to the book after I've completed this review. When I'm finished, I'm going to be very sad. :) It's not a book for everyone; it has disturbing scenes that are not for the faint of heart and also contains very sensual elements. But if you enjoy a good story that is woven like a maze; with hidden doors, invisible walls and curious directions, then perhaps you're worthy of such a book. Go pick it up. Amen.

No comments: