Monday, December 15, 2008

project

So I thought it would be a nice project for my MOM and I to try and make Jamie some homemade jammies. I got the fabric and the pattern and we spent a few hours trying to figure out where to start (this was about a month ago, btw). My mom doesn't really sew clothing; she does cushions and curtins for her boat. Grandma used to sew clothing so we figured, if grandma can do it, so can we.
We laid out our pattern (a vintage one mind you... clever, thrifty genius that I am...) and proceeded to cut. I figured out halfway that I was supposed to cut notches too. Ooops. Shrug... Apparently, I can still make these without 'em so I kept cutting. Oh, they're for a 7 year old boy... Shrug, he'll grow into them. Cut cut cut... All cut out and neatly folded, we decided we would tackle sewing the pieces together next time.
Today I thought might be a good time to finally get those pieces finally joined and looking like real jammies since Jamie is growing like a weed. His current pj's are past the highwaters mark.
I called mom and asked her if she'd be up to it. She said she wasn't really in the mood to sew but I could come and use her machine and she'd show me how. That was the plan anyway.
Turns out, she shows me how to thread the machine & make a bobbin and sends me on my way, machine in the back of my car.
I just got done sewing the front pieces together just now. Smacks forehead. I sewed the part that was supposed to be for the buttons and button holes together. Gah.

Oh seam ripper... we're gonna be best pals, aren't we.

No comments: