Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sick Day part Deux

I should've paid attention when my voice was cracking and sputtering like a adolescent boy's this morning... It was terrible. I could barely talk but yet, I felt fine- besides the occasional cough. So, to work I went.
I rang the door bell to be let in at my usual early arrival time of 8:25am. I was scheduled to be there at 8:45 since we now open at 9am. Old John answered and let me in the door with a friendly greeting and immediately gave me a scowl as soon as he heard how horrible my voice was. "You should've stayed home girlie." But I felt fine.
We had our morning meeting just before opening the doors to the public and the rest of the morning crew laughed at my barely there voice and questioned my sanity. I felt fine!
I was scheduled at the registers for the first 3 hours of my day and during my first hour (the first hour is generally slow on Sundays) my first customer advised me to 'take care of that cough'. I feel fine. Really.
Noon finally rolled around it was time for lunch. I headed to Top Foods and bought myself some chicken teriyaki and an egg roll and headed back to work to eat in the break room. Allison and Angela shared break at the same time and both felt within their rights to share their assessment on my current health situation. "You sound like a dying dog when you laugh." Great... I felt fine except for the growing pressure between my eyes.
The rest of my day was spent at Customer Service trying to avoid answering the phone (I only answered it twice!) and helping people. Lindy, one of the managers kept telling me how awful I sounded. I was starting to feel a little iffy by this point and missed my bed. "I'd send you home but we're a little short handed at 4... sorry Christine..." Its ok. I'll be fine.
It's officially 9pm and I feel like crap! Ugh. I will probably call out tomorrow and everyone will sigh with relief. Including me. :)

2 comments:

Paul Bauman said...

Hope you get some tea, soup, and rest :(. You don't want laryngitis...

Christine said...

No but I'm worried that I'm getting it. We'll see... lol