Friday, October 12, 2007

Target & Arithmetic

Seriously. Ever since they put a Target down the street from our house we've been supporting their business. Let's face it... Even though there's a newly built Super Wal-Mart directly across the street; Target's just better. Prettier.
We decided to head to Target tonight after our Friday ritual of grabbing coffee at Big Foot Java. I needed more ink for my printer and Jamie needed pants. High-waters just aren't practical in the PNW this time of year. We followed our usual route (I KNOW other Target goers have routes... c'mon, admit it) and cut through girls to get to infant/toddlers' clothing. Immediately I start gushing over the little baby girl outfits (as usual) and Mike heads to the funny boy shirts with silly sayings such as "I Still Live With My Parents" or "Hello, My Name Is Trouble" (the second is the one Jamie owns that Mike proudly bought all by himself). I choose a few practical sweatpants and one nicer outfit for Jamie to wear and then we head towards toys. Generally, we avoid Toys like the plague... but somehow, it was like gravity pulled us because we didn't even discuss it, we just went. Huh. Anyway, Mike gets distracted by PS3 games and Jamie's shouting at me to go down the aisle with Playdoh and like toys. We head down the Playdoh aisle and Mike wonders out loud if Jamie needs more Playdoh. Shaking my head I pointed to the moon sand display next to him.
"I'm sure he'll be plenty busy with the sand... lets look at board games,"
We've been discussing having family game nights with Mike's parents maybe twice a month where we can play games that Jamie can be involved in. Eventually teach him harder, thought-provoking games as he gets bored with the easy ones. It's a tradition that Mike is familiar with as a child and he swears its where he honed his amazing math skills. Not wanting Jamie to suffer arithmetic depression like I did, I think this is the way to go. There's no way I'll ever be able to help him with his math homework... It's sad but true.

4 comments:

Paul Bauman said...

There are some good ones for the family that you can check out over on boardgamegeeks.com

Current fave is Zooloretto, or Carcassonne. He even gets into Settlers of Catan but we usually only play half games (he spams the Soldier cards until he's had his fill). Another recent favorite is Ticket to Ride, but that one frustrates him a little.

One approach with some games is to "phase in" rules, starting out with really simple ones, and adding rules & strategies as they get more comfortable.

Paul Bauman said...

Oh and as far as Target goes, we like to pronounce it as the French do, lending it an air of sophistication: Tar-jay.

Christine said...

LMAO we've pronounced it that way before too :P

We've actually got Settlers of Catan but have only played it once. We'll need to revisit for sure. There's another fave store of ours in the mall called Game On that sells all of the games you've mentioned and I'm glad you named a few... I was wondering about a few that Jamie might be interested in! Thanks!

auntie jean said...

Hey Shutter Mama, have grandma and grandpa teach Jamie a card game "pig" If you guys haven't done it already. Another one that your hubby and Donald played and alot was slapjack and of course war. But grandpa can also teach him cribbage. We played that alot when I grew up. Still play it with my own hubby at times. I sure miss those card nights myself. Those were the good ole days. Catch you later.