Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's all about the kid

Believe it or not, I don't always have something to say... This blogging everyday is getting harder! lol
Anyway... So I think today's topic will be... tah-dah: Jamie and Kindergarten! The biggest topic on my mind for the last few days. I've been considering waiting another year before enrolling him in Kindergarten. Here are a few reasons why:
1. He'll be one of the youngest kids since he will have only been 5 for 2 months before school starts. If I wait, he'll be closer in age to the others and won't feel 'little' (not that he does).
2. Loses focus easily in preschool during lessons. He's not forced to participate if he does get distracted which worries me that he may think he can do this in regular school because trust me... give him an inch and he'll take a mile. lol
3. Will give me more time to work with him one on one if I can (hopefully) go part-time next year (or if I can get another job that works with me more flexibly).
4. It's about what Jamie needs... not what other kids are doing.

I need to do more research on kindergarten & the cut off dates for enrollment (birthdays and such) and what he 'should' know before he goes. Hey, at least he's potty trained! :D Here's what I know already here. There's also an optional school in the area called School of Discovery that supposedly lets children learn at their own pace. I've already checked them out online and read mixed reviews. I like that the average classroom size is around 13 kids per class. It's like a private school except that it's free. I plan to do more investigating and find out if it's right for Jamie.

Anyway, we did have a sit down tonight at the table so he could practicing writing letters. It was defininately a test of patience on my end. I had to keep reminding myself not to be too nitpicky on his 'order' of writing. We're going to practice spelling his name and writing the letters in the correct order :)

PS He's been doing GOOD with his chores! Whoo!

No comments: