Sunday, December 9, 2007

Raising a reader

If there's one thing I want to teach Jamie, it's a love for reading. Good thing I work at a bookstore, eh? I think Jamie owns more kids books than I ever did when I was little... but then again, I didn't come to love reading until I was a bit older.

Today at work was employee appreciation day in which we can purchase books and other merchandise at 40% off instead of our regular employee discount (varies depending on your FT/PT status). I ended up purchasing only gifts for Jamie since I'm undecided on gifts for the other children in our extended family. Even though he can't read yet, I picked up some boxed sets of Captain Underpants and The Magic Treehouse. Many experts agree that reading advanced books helps their comprehension later on. Comprehension was something I struggled with as a child so I'd like to give Jamie as much help as possible while he's still young and sponge-like :)

4 comments:

Paul Bauman said...

Definitely go for the more advanced stuff; they typically need content that's a little 'above' their level to exercise their comprehension and concentration a bit.

Hunter adores the "Poppy Stories", a series of books by author "Avi".

Poppy
Poppy & Rye
Ragweed
Poppy Returns
Ereth's Birthday

He likes to give me synopses on what I've missed when it's my turn to read bedtime stories. ^_^

auntie jean said...

Well both my kids are readers. My son on the dark size and my daughter will she read a variety of books. Most of them well above her age group. But they both started out with the picture books soft cloth to table books.

They have always had book hanging around them. I have always been a reader, you can ask my mom about that one. I couldn't get enough of reading myself. Still to this day I have something to read. I missed it alot when I was going to school. I had to keep the pleasure reading to a big fat zero. Because I can so easily lose myself in a great book. Love the books better than the movies that come out afterwards. So on and So on.

The secret is reading with them. Showing them pictures. When I went to doctor appointments book at hand. Grocery store anywhere. If your child comes after our family reading will be in their future.

Remember kids always do as we do. IF you read they will follow. Have fun, in the world of reading. Oh yea, I spy books. Finding Waldo and such works well too. Anything is a game with a control. Good luck.

Christine said...

Jamie adores "I Spy" Books too and I think I have almost all of them! (we got a bunch in bargain so it was extra cheap!).

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.